Madame Mary Primary School
In the summer of 2012 the South Sudanese community was deported from Israel to their young country. The 500 children found themselves in one of the poorest countries in the world facing challenges they were not prepared for. Members of the community together with a group of Israelis have joined forces to bring the children back to school. The program is intended to allow the children to continue to study and fulfill their dreams within their new lives. This project helps sending the children to a boarding school in Uganda. Come True is a unique project because it sees the large educational picture, and yet relates to each child as an individual. Since many of the families are still in an unstable situation, finding it hard to provide for their children, we offer these children a year-round solution, covering all their needs, both during the school year and on school breaks. We not only pay the school fees for our children, but also take care of their health, buy the basic school supplies, clothing, footwear and equipment throughout the year, and care for them during the four months each year when school is out.
The volunteer capacity building center, where the volunteers will be accommodated, is located in Namulanda which is in the Central Region of Uganda and has about 2000 citizens. The distance from Namulanda to Uganda’s capital Kampala is approximately 54km/33mi.
The citizens of Namulanda are reliant to help and support from abroad to achieve their goals according to an adequate education for children and an empowering development. French volunteers can participate in creating and developing a productive and efficient support system for the Ugandan society. The benefits for
the population are obvious by receiving additional helpers from additional helpers from abroad and by gaining new and practical knowledge from the volunteer’s individual skills, professional education and personal motivation.
- Assisting teachers in the daily
- Supporting the children during
- Creating adequate activities
during breaks (music, games,
- Helping the teacher to provide a
- Monday- Friday 7:30-14:00
- Walkable distance from accommodations
- Volunteer profile: Mature, responsible, motivated, tolerant, flexible, teamwork capable, adaptive, open minded, autonomous and patient.
- Volunteers need to be flexible for practical work with a different culture, environment and climate.
- Able to take responsibility working both independently and in a team.
Have mental and social skills allowing them to deal with challenging and surprising situations.
- Have motivation, an open mind, and social skills needed to get to know a new country and ability to accept differences.
- Have communication and human-relation skills needed for various types of people.
- Willingness to participate in extracurricular activities within the community.
Resume (with picture) and motivation letter in English.
EACH VOLUNTEER RECEIVES
Inside the compound there are two buildings reserved for the volunteers. Each volunteer will share a room with four or six people. Necessary furniture is provided as well as a small kitchen inside the building. Furthermore, a huge common kitchen and dining room is part of the accommodations. Because of this rural area internet cannot be taken for granted through the whole time in terms of electricity complications
- Meals (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- Seminars/additional courses
For a period of three months the volunteers receive educational and preparing courses. These courses are distributed through the week that they receive on two-four days (dependent on the placement and schedule) a few hours of training. The courses will cover the topics of: International development, practical work and skill training at their placements and entrepreneurial studies.
- Pedagogical guidance & support
A pedagogical guide keeps contact and takes care of all the needs of the volunteers throughout the volunteering period in and out of the placement.
- Flight ticket (round trip)
- Visa cost
- 450Euro for accommodation, food (breakfast, lunch, dinner), transportation, security
- Phone flat-rate package
- Individual travelling